Friday, January 20, 2012

Boise Family Law Lawyers (208) 472-2383 Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders

Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders

As a Boise Divorce Lawyer, my clients with restraining orders often ask me the following question. What do you do when you have a restraining order against someone and you need to call the police to notify them that the order is being violated?  You can keep your restraining order with you, and hope you can find it when you need it, or now, thanks to the Hope Card, you can keep a small, credit card sized, laminated information card with you.  The Hope Card provides the police with all the pertinent information you need to prove that you have a restraining order, including a photo of the person who is being restrained from coming near you.

Is the Hope Card for everyone?  No, it is only issued when you have at least a 12 month restraining order.  If you do, you can get the card free from the Idaho Attorney General's office.  You also must go through the regular process to get your restraining order in the first place.  You can do this on your own or be represented by a Boise Divorce Attorney.  Once the restraining order is in place, you can visit the attorney general's website and apply on-line.  Eventually, the card may become available to all victims of domestic violence despite the length of time of the restraining order.

If you are a victim of domestic violence and need to speak to a Boise Family Law Lawyer, please call (208) 472-2383.

1 comment: